Glimpse history through old images of Hingham, Norfolk, England.
Grandsire Triples (2010)
Ringing at Hingham, Norfolk – ItsAlexOmg on YouTube
A bit of Hingham history
Extract from “Kelly’s Directory of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk“
Published in 1883
Pages 345 – 347
HINGHAM is a small market town and parish about 116 miles from London, 6 west from Wymondham and 3 south – west from Kimberley and Hardingham stations on the Dereham branch line, in the Southern division of the county, Foreloe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. Andrew, a noble edifice of stone, is a fine specimen of the Decorated style, it has chancel, lofty nave, aisles, and a massive tower containing 8 bells: in the chancel is a stained window, placed there by John, first Lord Wodehouse, in 1813: the aisles are separated from the nave on either side by six arches: on the north side of the chancel is a lofty and highly – wrought monument to Thomas Lord Morley, Marshal of Ireland, who died in 1435; in the south aisle some fine cartoons were discovered in 1855, on scraping portions of the walls: the church interior has undergone various alterations and improvements during the past few years; a new organ was added in 1878 costing £ 550; in the same year a massive brass lectern was given by Lady Mary Currie; carved oak stalls were erected in the chancel, and a two – light window in the south wall of the chancel, which had been blocked up, was reopened and filled with stained glass: in the east end of the south aisle is a three – light stained window representing The Sermon on the Mount; ” it is in memory of Martin Baylie Darby, rector for nearly fifty years of the adjoining parish of Hackford and who resided at Hingham, and who died March 15th, 1880: the window was the gift of parishioners in the south aisle are three two – light stained windows, one to the memory of Elizabeth Hodgson, who died 16th August, 1850; another, representing St. Peter and St. Paul was erected to the memory of Edmond William West Clarke, a resident of Hingham who died 26th January, 1881; the other, representing an act of charity, is to the memory of Elizabeth Coekell, who died February 17th, 1879: the east end of the chancel has been raised and paved with marble mosaic work: in 1882 a handsome new Dosal ‘ or hanging, under the east window was put up; it is of red silk plush stamped with a pattern and has four Orphreys or stripes of silk embroidered in gold colour, two with corn and grapes and two with (conventional) roses, the whole at the expense of the rector.
The register dates from the year 1601.
The living is a rectory, yearly value, £ 1,260, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Maynard Wodehouse Currie M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, rural dean.
The Rev. Robert Peck M.A. formerly rector of this parish, was a man of very violent schismatic temper, who pulled down the rails, and levelled the altar and the whole chancel a foot below the church (since raised two steps).
But being prosecuted for it by Bishop Wren, he fled the kingdom, and went over to New England, with many of his parishioners, who sold their estates for half their value, and conveying all their effects to that new plantation, erected a town and colony of the name of Hingham, where many of their posterity still remain.
Hearing that the bishops were deposed, he left the place, and came back to Hingham in the year 1646, after ten years voluntary banishment, resumed his rectory, and died in the year 1656.
Here is a Congregational chapel, and one belonging to the Primitive Methodists.
The fuel allotment of 34 acres produces £ 24 yearly, which is distributed among the resident poor of the parish in coals; and charities producing £ 41 13s. 11d. yearly are distributed in bread to the poor.
The Market day is Tuesday.
Hingham Hall, the seat of Rawdon Hunter – Makett es. J.P. is a large handsome brick mansion, standing in a well – wooded demesne of about 50 acres. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Mrs. Hurnard is lady of the manor of Hingham Gurneys.
The soil is of a mixed nature; sub soil, clay and brick earth.
The chief crops are turnips, barley, wheat and marigolds.
The parish consists of 3,645 acres; rateable value £ 9,000; the population in 1881 was 1,554.
Parish Clerk, John Sare.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank – Thomas Kingaby, receiver.
Letters are received from Attleborough at 5.15 a.m. dispatched at 8.15 p.m. Box closes at 8 p.m. Savings bank business transacted from 9a.in. to 6 p.m
Assistant Overseer, William Newson
Norwich Union Fire & Life, J. Feltham
Sun Fire, T. P. Viall
A School Board of 35 members was formed in 1873; P. H. Davis, clerk to the Board
An Endowed school was founded & handsomely endowed in 1727 by William Parlett esq.; the income now amounts to about £ 200 yearly.
By a new scheme, approved May, 1883, by the Privy Council, the school is called the Hingham Endowed School, & the present bead master is still to hold the appointment. The governing body consists of ten persons, of whom three are co – optative; three scholarships of not less than £ 8 or more than £ 10 are available for boys from the elementary schools of Hingham, Woodrising & South Burgh. A sum of £ 60 will be applied to establishing & maintaining exhibitions tenable at a school of a higher grade for boys who have been at this school for not less than three years.
The old National school is now used as a sunday school. Thomas Spencer Turner, head master; Arthur George Turner B.A. second master Board School, opened in 1875 for 275 children; average attendance, 243; Charles John King, master; Mrs. Elizabeth King, mistress; Miss Harriet Pottle, infants ‘ mistress
CARRIERS TO NORWICH. – John Laskey, mon. wed. & sat. returning same days; Jolin Risebrook, tues, thurs.
Beevor Sir Thomas bert. J.P
Crawshay Charles J.P
Currie Rev. Maynard Wodehouse M.A.,
J.P. [ rector ], & Lady Mary
Davis Rev. Philip Henry [ Congregational ]
Gurdou Mrs. Bears farm
Hunter Muskett Rawdon J.P. Hingham hall
Hurnard Mrs. Gurneys manor
James Rev. Charles Warburton M.A. curate ]
King Charles John
Lack Thomas Lambert
Large William Hastings
Miller Rev. John Lacy [ rector of Hackford ]
Mustard Rev. David M.A. [ curate ]
Tallent Mrs. Beaconsfield house
Turner Arthur George B.A. [ second ] master of Endowed school ]
Turner Thomas Spencer [ head master of Endowed school ]
Withers Capt. W
Wood Capt. Robert John, The Limes
Allen Williain, farmer, Lyngwhite
Andrews Richard & Son, builders
Andrews Charles, chimney sweeper
Ayers Thomas Francis, draper & grocer
Bayes Thomas, farmer
Bilham Mark, bricklayer
Boyce William, chimney sweeper
Bunn Benjamin, cooper
Bush Frederick, farmer, Lyngwhite
Bush John, bricklayer
Bution Elizabeth ( Mrs. ), milliner & dress maker
Cannell Abraham, farrier
Carlton David, farmer & borse dealer, Manson Green farm
Claxton Edmund, farmeri
Cook Frederick, baker & corn dealer
Cooper John, shoe maker
Cordy John, beer retailer
Daws Henry, watch maker
Doduan Richard, chimney sweeper
Doe George, farmer
Dowsing Benjamin, fishmonger
Duchess Thomas, market gardener & seedsman
Eagling Jn. & Edwd. boot & shoe miks
Edwards William Theophilus, farmer
Faux Charles, fishmonger
Feltham Fairman, harness m ker
Feltham Hannah ( Miss ), confectioner
Feltham Henry, shopkeeper
Feltham Henry, solicitor
Feltham James, solicitor, & registrar to the county court at Wynondham
Feltham Philip, painter & glazier
Feltham Robert, farmer
Feltham William, gun maker & black smith
Frankland Charles, tinman & brazier
Gapp Alfred, beer retailer & corn dir
Gapp Philip, blacksmith
Gas Works Charles Lee, sec.; Henry Balls, manager
Gee John, fariner, Hall moor
Gibbs Robert Ellis, carpenter
Goodrick Geo. Jas, boot & shoe maker
Gricks John, Cock commercial inn
Gricks John, jun, stone & marble masn
Griston Ellen ( Mrs. ), shopkeeper
Gurneys, Birkbecks, Barclay & Buxton, bankers ( branch ) ( James William Cooper, agent ), open on tuesday & friday from 10 to 3; draw on Barclay, Bevan & Co. London e.e
Hallock Edwd. carpenter & cabinet ma
Harrieon Robert, farmer
Harwood George, beer retailer
Harwood George Janez, builder
Heald Robert, surgeon & medical officer No. 2 district, Wymondham union
Hilling Emily ( Mrs. ), shopkeeper
Hingham Endowed School ( Thomas Spencer Turner, head master; Arthur George Turner, second master )
Holley Charles, beer retailer
Holman Palmer, farmer
Hook George, be – r retailer
Howard Philip, wine, spirit, ale, porter & hop merchant
Howchin Robert, hutcher
Howlett John, tailor
Hoy John, watch & clock maker
Hunt Thomas, baker
Hunton John, iron founder
Jarvis C. M. & C. E. brick & tile manufacturers
Jenness George, butcher
Jenness Sarah ( Mrs. ), pork butcher
Jude Charles, farmer
King Edward, boot & shoe maker
Kingaby Thomas, stationer & postmaster
Kitteringham Henry, grocer, draper & auctioneer
Knott Wm. threshing machine owner
Lack & Heald, surgeons
Lack Thomas Lambert, surgeon medical officer of health for the rural sanitary authority, Wymondham union
Lancaster William, Unicorn
Land Gen, farmer, Gurneys Manor frm
Laskey John, carrier
Lee Charles, plumber & glazier
Leech Mary ( Mrs ), shopkeeper
Lilley Geo. carpenter & ter retailer
Mapes Sammel James, shoe maker
Middleton John, saddler
Moore George, general dealer
Mortlock Thomas, general dealer
Mutlett William, painter & glazier
Murrell Benjamin, cornehandler
Newson William, Ringers, & assistant overseer & Resor
Nicholson John Norton, butcher & farmer
Norton Henry Thos. frmr. Cutbush frm.
Norton John, tailor & draper
Owles Henry William, White Hart commercial inn, & farmer
Pearce Robert, farmer, Pitts farm
Pegnall Heury, farm bailiff to the Rev. M. W. Currie M.A
Pitts Geo. Waller, baker & miller (wind)
Pottle Thomas, basket maker
Rae James Edgar, travelling draper
Riebes Henry, thrashing machine owner & miller
Risebrook John, carrier
Rose James, draper
Rose Philip Wilson, boot & shoe maker
Sainty James, beer retailer & blacksmith
Sare John, tailor & parish clerk
Seaman Charles, farmer
Semmence Francis, tailor
Semmence John, butcher & farmer
Sewell Arthur, farmer & landowner
Starke Isaac, farmer
Stockings Charles, farmer, Warren farm
Talbot Leonard Thompson, wheelwright
Thompson Edward, farmer
Thurston Mary ( Mrs. ), baker
Tillett John Plowman, farmer
Vassar Charles, veterinary surgeon
Viall Thomas Parmenter, ironmonger
Vince James, grocer & draper
Vincent Lacey Andrews, ironmonger & chemist, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants; & atWatton
WallerHannah (Miss), straw bonnet maker
Webb Henry E. horse breaker
Websdale William, Dog inn
Whitear Thomas, grocer, draper & wine & spirit merchant
Whyatt John, farmer
Whyatt John, jun, farmer
Wright William, farm bailiff to R. H. Muskett eq