Old Images of Attleborough, Norfolk

old photos and films with Local History Videos .com

Glimpse history through old images of Attleborough, Norfolk, England.

In 1226, King Henry II granted a a market charter to Attleborough, and a Thursday Market has been held there ever since. It’s one of the five market towns of Breckland.

By the early twentieth century, the local market hosted regionally important sales of Christmas turkeys, to be distributed far and wide.

Now held in front of the Town Hall in Queens Square, the market sometimes extends as far as the Car Park and The Green of Queens Square for special themed markets.

Attleborough Market (1928)

Hundreds of turkeys arrived in large horse driven carts, and auctioned off at the market.

Norfolk: Turkeys arriving for auction at Attleborough Market: (1928) – British Pathé on YouTube

By 1933, more cars are seen at the turkey market.

Fond Of Turkey? (1933) – British Pathé on YouTube

In 1934, some of the turkeys were herded into the market on foot, in a nice shot that shows some of the nearby homes as well as a range of vehicles along the road.

Turkey’s For Sale (1934)- British Pathé on YouTube

A bit of Attleborough history

Extract from:

Post office directory of the Norfolk counties; viz.: – Cambridge, Norfolk, Suffolk [afterw.] Post office directory of Cambridge, Norfolk and Suffolk [afterw.] The Post office directory of Norfolk and Suffolk [afterw.] Kelly’s directory of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk

by Kelly’s directories, ltd

Published in 1875

Pages 197 – 199

Attleborough is a small market town, parish, head of a county Court district and station on the Great Eastern Railway, 110 miles from London, 15 miles southwest from Norwich 5 1/2 southwest from Wymondham, and 14 North East from Thetford in the Southern district of the County, Wayland Union, hundred of Shropham, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich.

One long Street includes most of the houses, which are irregularly built.

The church of St Mary is a noble stone building, in the Norman and early English Styles: it was once a cruciform structure, and possessed a Spire, which fell some years back, and destroyed the Chancel, which is never been rebuilt: it consists at present of nave, aisles, two chapels, and a porch, with a tower at the east end, which has an embattled parapet of red brick, and contains 6 bells and a clock.

The interior was repaired and newly seated in 1844: there is a fine organ, also a stained window; and there are several handsome monuments and tablets to the families of the Ratcliffes, Mortimers, and Chaunticleres.

The Register dates from the year 1552.

The living is a Rectory, yearly value £1,676, in the gift of Sir William Bowyer-Smijth bart., and held by the Rev William Chartres Safford, M.A., of Corpus Christi College Cambridge.

Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Baptists, and a Friends’ meeting house.

Here is a Board school.

The Wesleyan chapel, in Station Road, was opened in 1872: it is of red brick with stone dressings, and will seat about 400 persons: total cost about £1,000.

The charities consist of Nerford’s, for educating six poor children, value about £20, now given to the National school, and £2 12 s. a year given to six poor old women in bread every Sunday; Sir F Bickley’s £22, the proceeds of 6 acres of land, and Andrew Reeder’s, the proceeds of 2A. 3R. 23P., given to the poor of the parish; and £ 53, rent of fuel allotment, 57A. 28., given in coal;
there are also 11A. SR. 14P. left for beautifying the church, and the rent of 1A. 28. 32P. for ringing the morning and evening bells.

A Corn Market Hall and Reading Room has been erected by a limited liability company, at a cost of £ 1,000, for the convenience of the farmers who attend Attleborough market: it is a white brick building, and was opened in August, 1863.

The market is on Thursday; and the fairs formerly held have been suspended for years.

There is a banking agency.

The County Court is held every two months: the district comprises the following parishes: -Attleborough, Banham, Besthorpe, Breckles, Bridgham, Buckenham ( New ), Buckenham ( Old ), Carbrook, Caston, Eceles, Ellingham ( Great ), Ellingham (Little), Griston, Hargham, Harling (East), Harling ( West ), Hockham, Hockham ( Little ), Illington, Kenninghall, Larling, Merton, Ovington, Quiddenham, Rockland All Saints, Rockland Saint Andrew, Rockland Saint Peter, Roundham, Seoulton, Shropham, Snetterton, Stow Bedon, Thompson, Tottington, Watton, and Wilby.

The principal landowners are Sir W. Bowyer – Smijth, bart., who is lord of the manor, Sir T. B. Beevor, bart., Rev. F. Palmer, Arthur Cockell, esq., and George Shepherd, esq.

The area is 5,260 acres; rateable value, £12,215; the population in 1871 was 2,064.

Parish Clerk, William Barnard Page.


& Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office – William Barnard Page, postmaster


London & places through & from London, Norwich, Yarmouth & c. Diss, Scole & e……Delivery begins 7.0 a.m
Norwich, London & places through & Thetford…….Delivery begins 1.0 p.m


London, Thetford & places through London…Delivery begins 11. 0 a.m.
Norwich & principal ‘ towns in Suffolk…Delivery begins 11.55 a.m
London & places through London, also for Thetford, Bury St. Edmunds, Cambridge & other places between here & London, Norwich & Yarmouth & c……. 10.50 p.m
Telegraph business begins on week days from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; on sunday, from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Inland revenue licences issued on week days only, from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.; & on saturday till 8 p.m. Ordinary business is transacted on week days from 7 a.m. till 9 p.m.; on sunday the office is open from 7 till 10 a.m. only


County, Mrs. E. Doughty
Crown, W. C. Clowes
General Hail Storm, J. Bacon
Life Association of Scotland, M. W. L. Brooke
Norwich Equitable Fire, G. B. Parson
Norwich Union, J. Bacon
Phoenix Fire, W. B. Page
Sovereign Life, G. Upston, jun
Sun, Wilkinson & Slann
Whittington, W. Woodhouse


County Court, Edwin Plame Price, esq. Q.c. judge;
Thomas Holloway Slann, registrar; Thomas Kerslake,
high bailiff; G. B. Parson, deputy
Police Station, Benjamin Munford, sergeant
Stamp Office, Alfred Muskett, distributor


Clerk to Weyland Union, Elmer Cubitt, Bintry, East
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, W. Shepherd
Superintendent Registrar, Elmer Cubitt
Deputy Superintendent Registrar, John Myhill
Relieving Officer for the Attleborough District of the
Wayland Union, William Shepherd
Board School, William Woodhouse, master; Miss Clara
Callaway, mistress
Railway Station, Arthur Taylor, station master


John Capes, to & from Norwich, tuesday & saturday
Mrs. Mary Wright, to & from Norwich, wednesday & sat


Bacon James, The Laurels
Beart Mrs. London road
Brooke M. W. Lombe
Brown Mrs. London road
Cockell Arthur, J.P. Hill house
Coleman Abraham
Ellis Carteret George, M.D
Everitt Miss, London road
Francklin Mrs. F. F. Ivy lodge
Francklin Mrs. G. F. Ivy lodge
Gayford Mrs. Rose villa
Green Mrs
Hewitt William, Fair View cottage
Jary Thomas Henry, Swangay farm
Kettringham William, Prospect cottage
Lane Mrs
Le Grice Samuel
Limmer James, London road
Littleproud Mrs
Long Charles
Lovett Robert
Macro Mrs. Rose cottage
Mason Rev. Edwin [ Baptist ]
Meadows Rev. John [ Wesleyan ]
Muskett Alfred
Muskett Mrs
Nicholls John
Preston Rev. D’Arey Harrington, B.A.
Point house
Rayson William France
Safford Rev. William Chartres, M.A.
Salter George Leonard, London road
Salter Thomas Fisher, The Hall
Salter William H
Salter William Webb, The Hall
Semmence John
Shepherd George, Fenn farm
Slann Thomas Holloway, Connaught rd
Sparrow Jonathan, London road
Stebbing Mrs. Norwich road
Taylor James, London road
Turner John
Vince Mrs
Vincent Mrs
Wellingham Mrs
Wells Mrs
Whiting James, Prospect cottage
Wiles Charles Barsham
Wordingham Misses
Wright Mrs

Adams Frederick, farmer
Adamson William, boys ‘ day school, & fancy depot
Allen George, horse breaker
Allen Henry, horse clipper
Artis John Hovell, baker
Austin Isaac, carpenter
Ayton James, beer retailer
Bacon James, auctioneer, valuer & estate agent; & at East Dereham
Barker George, White Sican
Barker James, White Horse
Barley John, fancy repository
Barnard William, plumber, painter & glazier
Bateman & Son, tailors & outfitters
Bateman William, London tavern
Beales Daniel, farmer
Beales William, miller
Beck William, blacksmith
Beckett John, grocer & draper
Bird Charles, cooper
Bodel Richard, wheelwright
Bowden Robert, bricklayer
Brighton William, flour & meal dealer
Brooke M. W. Lombe, solicitor, commissioner in chancery & common law courts, & clerk to school board
Brown Mark, farmer
Bullivant Harriet ( Mrs. ), ladies ‘ school
Caddy Thomas, farmer
Capes John, Crown
Castleton Jonas, blacksmith
Chatters Henry, boot & shoe maker
Childerhouse Frederick, farmer
Childerhouse Robt. boot & shoe maker
Chilvers Albert, Griffin commercl. inn
Clarke James, farmer
Claxton Noah, saddler
Clowes Wm. Church, chemist & druggst
Cobb George, farm bailiff to the executors of the late Fairman Mann, esq. Wood farm
Cooper James, farm bailiff to Rev. D’Arcy H. Preston
Cooper Samuel, White Hart
Copling Robert, licensed to let horses for hire
Corn Market Hall Co. ( Jas. Bacon, see )
Cowles Richard, farmer
Cowles William, farmer
Dawes William, watch maker
Doughty Elizabeth ( Mrs. ), agent to County Fire & Life Office
Downes Robert, bricklayer
Drake Charles, carriage builder
Ellis Carteret George, M.D. surgeon
Foulsham Frederick, baker
Foulsham Susan ( Mrs. ), Cock inn
Gas Works ( Arthur Wells, manager )
Gayford James, farmer
Goldspink Charles, horse & cattle dealer
Goldspink Richard, butcher & farmer
Goodwin William, joiner
Grant George, boot & shoe maker
Green Robt. farmer, Beaconsthorp farm
Gurneys ‘ & Co. bankers ( Alfred Muskett, agent ); draw on Barclay, Bevan & Co. London
Harrison John, Angel, & carpenter
Hart Frederick Charles, miller
Harwood Thomas, market gardener & nurseryman
Hewitt William, cattle salesman, Fair View cottage
Hewitt William P. butcher
Houchen Susan ( Mrs. ), boot & shoe ma
Howard Charles P. Railway tavern
Howard William, Odd Fellowes ‘ Arms, & corn dealer
Howlett James, farmer
Jary Thomas Henry, farmer, Swangey & Ling farms
Jessup George, farmer, Borough farm
Johnson Horace, cricket bat maker & wood turner
Johnson James, fishmonger
Kirk William, farmer, Haverseroft
Kitteringham John, house decorator
Kitteringham Rt. furntr. dir. & builder
Kitteringham William, jun. builder
Knights Robert, pork butcher
Larkman James & Sons, machinists & agents for agricultural implements; & at Besthorpe. See advert
Layton William & John, butchers
Le Grice Charles, grocer & draper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants
Leverington James, cartage for hire & contracts taken
Limmer James, agent to J. & Hy. Finch, manure stores, Station
Littleproud Robt. Alfd. grocer & draper
Long Zedekiah, maltster & dealer in corn, coal, malt, hops, seeds, linseed & rape cakes, offals & c. Station
Loveday Nathan, agricultural implement maker & agent to Messrs. Ransome, Sims & Head; Bentall & Co.; Hornsby & Son; Maldon Iron Works Co.; Hunt & Tawell; & Burgess & Key. See advert
Mansfield John, farmer
Middleton Wm. farmer, Wood farm
Musk Henrietta ( Mrs. ), beer retailer
Muskett Alfred, agent to Gurneys ‘ & Co. bankers, Norwich
Muskett Alfred, grocer & draper
Muskett Wm. Jas. farmer, Crows Hall farm
Myhill John, farmer & deputy superintendent registrar
Myhill John, jun, miller, see Sparrow & Myhill
Nicholls & Son, tailors & outfitters
Nicholls John, farmer
Norton Godfrey, beer retailer
Nurse William, farmer
Page William Barnard, postmaster & rate collector
Parson Charlotte ( Miss ), seminary
Parson George B. printer
Petley Charles, farmer & dealer
Potter Joseph, farmer
Potter Major, farm bailiff to W. T.
Simpson, esq. The Leys
Riches Charles, farmer
Riches Elizabeth ( Mrs. ), White Lodge
Rider George Smith, hawking draper
Robinson Charles, brick & tile maker
Rose Chas. Cordy, grocer, wine & spirit merchant, millinery, outfitter, hats & caps, funerals furnished, & agent for Allsopp’s & Green’s Bury ales; & at Morley St. Botolph
Salter Brothers, farmers, The Hall farm
Salter & Simpson, auctioneers, valuers & land & estate agents
Salter Thomas Fisher, land agent
Salter W. H. corn, coal, coke, seed & manure merchant, Station
Saunders William, farmer, Hill farm
Self Robert, farmer & dealer
Semmence William, corn & flour dealer
Sheldrake Alpheus, carpenter
Shepherd George, landowner & farmer, Fenn farm
Shepherd William, registrar of births, deaths & marriages
Shorten William, Bear, nurseryman & seedsman, Connaught nursery
Simpson William T. auctioneer & c. see
Salter & Simpson
Skoyles Harry, New Inn tap
Slann Thomas Holloway ( firm, Wilkinson & Slann ), solicitor & registrar of county court, Connaught road
Smith Robert, beer retailer
Snelling Robert, farmer, West Car farm; & at Wortham, Suffolk
Sparrow & Myhill, millers & corn factrs
Sparrow William Frederick, glass, earthenware & hardware dealer
Spencer Matthew, market gardener
Stebbings William, ironmonger
Steff William, land surveyor & maltster
Stubbings Maria ( Mrs. ), farmer
Taylor Charles, tea agent, London rd
Tillott John, tailor
Tillott Leonard, New inn
Turner John, blacksmith
Upston George, seedsman
Upston George, jun. gardener & agricultural seedsman
Upston William John, King’s Head, furniture broker & bill poster
Vince Edward, farmer, Park farm
Wade William, farmer
Wales George, baker & confectioner
Warren Frederick, watch ma. & organist
Warren William, shopkeeper
Watling George, farmer
Watling George, Grove inn
Watling James, Old Railway tavern
Webster Elizabeth ( Miss ), dress maker
Webster Joseph, hair dresser
Webster Wm, shoe maker & shopkeeper
Wells Arthur, manager to gas works
Wick John Park, coal dealer
Wiles Charles Barsham, surgeon
Wilkinson & Slann, solícitors, commissioners to administer oaths in chancery & for taking affidavits in common law courts, & perpetual commissioners for taking acknowledgments of married women, Connaught road; & at Holt
Wilson David, farrier
Wordingham Misses, ladies ‘ boarding school
Wright Harriet ( Mrs. ), farmer
Wright Mary ( Mrs. ), carrier
Wright Mary Ann ( Mrs. ), straw hat & bonnet maker
Youngs George, monumental mason

More about Norfolk

About the author