Great Yarmouth, which became a seaside resort as far back as 1760, is located in the English county of Norfolk, the area of East Anglia and the region called East of England. The town has been heavily filmed through the years thanks to its popularity with holidaymakers from across the UK.
Great Yarmouth used to be known for its port, which brought in much of England’s herring catch. Today it’s famous for being a historic seaside resort which still attracts crowds of holidaymakers each year.
Great Yarmouth is definitely in Norfolk. But its proximity to Suffolk makes it a good base from which to explore the neighbouring English county.
The whole eastern border of Great Yarmouth meets the North Sea. Because of that, it offers sandy beaches, sandy dunes and stunning cliff top views. Swimmers and surfers usually enjoy local sea temperatures of 15 to 19°C (59 to 66°F) in August each year.
Great Yarmouth offers a sandy beach which is 15 miles long! That’s why it continues to draw visitors and holidaymakers throughout the year. There are plenty of cafes and pubs nearby to keep you well fed and watered after a day at the beach.
Local History On Archive Film
This section of Local History Videos shows vintage film and video compilations of old photos of Great Yarmouth up to the end of the 1940s.
We showcase one video on each page. You can quickly and easily locate to the page you want – just check the list below.
You may also like to see another section of this website, about Great Yarmouth in the years between 1950 and 1979.
Images Of The Town’s Past History
A History of Great Yarmouth’s Golden Mile In Pictures
This footage from YouTube channel Norfolk Now looks back at the historic “Golden Mile” along Great Yarmouth’s sea front.
When you watch a video on our site, it streams directly from YouTube. That means the person who uploaded the film gets an increase in their YouTube ‘views’, in turn making YouTube more likely to promote the footage to other people.
Which video would you like to see next?
- Page 1 A History of Great Yarmouth’s Golden Mile In Pictures
- Page 2 The Great Yarmouth “Witch” hanged at Salem in 1692
- Page 3 Great Yarmouth Bridge Disaster of 1845
- Page 4 The Chapman Family of Great Yarmouth
- Page 5 Car Driving Along Great Yarmouth Promenade (1910s)
- Page 6 Great Yarmouth Beach In Summer (1910s)
- Page 7 Great Yarmouth Fishing Boats (1910s)
- Page 8 Zeppelins Bomb Great Yarmouth & Kings Lynn (1915)
- Page 9 Great Yarmouth (1920s)
- Page 10 Great Yarmouth (1920s)
- Page 11 Great Yarmouth and Blackpool Pleasure Beach (1930s)
- Page 12 Great Yarmouth Carnival (1930s)
- Page 13 Great Yarmouth (1930s)
- Page 14 End The Strikes (1946)
- Page 15 HERRING SEASON IN FULL SWING (1940s)
- Page 16 Herring Fishing (1947)
- Page 17 Herring Harvest In Yarmouth (1948)