Glimpse history through old images of Ruskington, Lincolnshire, England.
Enjoy a quirkly vintage newreel about a quirky family holiday in Ruskington, Lincolnshire.
While the story looks at the family holiday of Jim Foster, his wife Margaret, sons Dennis and David, and daughters Christine, Lynne, Julie, Janet, Shirley and Susan, there are a few nice images of Ruskington in the background.
Cycling Family (1961) – British Pathé on YouTube
A bit of Ruskington history
Extract from: Post office directory of Lincolnshire, by Kelly’s directories, Ltd
Published in 1885
Pages 608 – 609
RUSKINGTON is a parish, with a station on the Great Northern and Great Eastern joint railway, in the Southern division of the county, parts of Kesteven, wapentake of Flaxwell, Sleaford county court district, petty sessional division and union, rural deanery of Lafford No. 1, and archdeaconry and diocese of Lincoln, 3 miles north – north – by – east from Sleaford and 2 from the Sleaford canal.
The Local Government Act of 1858 was adopted in this parish on the 21st day of March, 1864; the board consists of 9 members.
The church of All Saints is a large building of the Norman and Early English periods, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a low tower, containing 3 bells the tower is a debased structure, chiefly rebuilt in 1620, when its grand Norman arch, dating from about 1150, was removed to the south side of the church : the chancel arch and both arcades are Early English, the south arcade being however more richly ornamented and taking precedence as to date : the church was restored in 1861, at a cost of £ 850, when the building was new roofed and refitted, chiefly by the exertions of the Countess of Winchilsea and the Rev. R. Coward, then curate, under the direction of Mr. Charles Kirk, of Sleaford : in 1873 the chancel, which had been deprived of 6 feet of its length in 1710, was enlarged and a stained window inserted at the east end : it retains a sedile and aumbry : the font is of the Perpendicular period; on one of its panels the instruments of Our Lord’s Crucifixion are carved, and on another appears the pillar of flagellation, flanked by a sword and some other emblems.
The register dates from the year 1558.
The living formerly consisted of two medieties, which have been consolidated under the present rector : it is now of the gross yearly value of £ 600 with house, in the gift of C. J. Myers esq. and held since 1871 by the Rev. Arthur Myers M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels.
A cemetery of acre was formed in 1882, at a cost of 400; it is under the control of a burial board of 9 members. Mr. Jesse Clare, of Sleaford, clerk to the burial board.
A charity of 42 10s, yearly, left in 1719 by Anne ( Thorold ), Lady Hodgson, of Rowston, and widow of Sir Thomas Hodgson, is distributed in support of the schools at Ruskington and Rowston, and for maintenance, clothing and fuel for three poor widows.
Reading room and library, built in 1877, by public subscription, on a site presented by the Hon. M. E. G. Finch – Hatton D.L., J.P.; James Adlard, secretary; Frank Cock, librarian.
The principal landowners are the Hon. Murray E.G.Finch – Hatton M.P., D.L., J.P.of Haverholme Priory, who is lord of the manor, Messrs. S. and W. Pattinson, Charles Stephenson, Elston Law, the trustees of the late Charles Bradley, Charles S. Dickinson, the Rev. Arthur Myers M.A. and Rowland Williams.
The soil is light and some clay; subsoil, gravel and clay.
The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley, outs and turnips.
The area is 4.750 acres; rateable value, 5.896; the population in 188 : was 1,191.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Kelly.
POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings
Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office. Thos. Brewin, postmaster. Letters arrive from Sleaford at 9 a.m. & 4.5 p.m.; & from the north vid Lincoln at 9.20 a.m.; dispatched to Sleaford at 9.20 a.m. & 6.5 p.m. & to Lincoln at 4 p.m. Telegraph office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on week days, & from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on sundays
The Board meet at the National school every first monday of each month at 7 p.m.
Treasurer, W. Lowe
Medical Officer of Health, Alfred Ashby x. B. Grantham
Clerk & Collector, James Adlard
Surveyor & Inspector of Nuisances, John Cock
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1878 : Jesse Clare, Sleaford, clerk to the board & attendance officer National School, built, with master’s house, in 1868, at a cost of 1.000, raised by subscription & a government grant, & on a site given by the Dowager Countess of Winchilsea; Jas. Adlard, master; Mrs. Adlard, mistress
William Baldock, to Sleaford, mon
Railway Station, George Lewin, station master
Myers Rev. Arthur M.A. [ rector ]
Pattinson Francis Samuel
Richards Mrs. Field house
Adlard James, assistant overseer, collector & clerk to the local board & organist at the church
Ambler Edward, shopkeeper
Ambler Richard, shoe maker
Baldock Walter, beer retailer & butcher
Baldock William, carrier & baker
Barsley David, cowkeeper
Blackburn George, joiner
Blow Joseph, tailor
Brewin Thomas, farmer
Brewin Thomas, grocer, & post office
Briggs Jacob, farmer
Brown Henry, blacking ma. & butcher
Brown John, butcher
Brown Rhoda ( Mrs. ), farmer
Claricoats Elizabeth ( Mrs. ), dress ma
Cock John, farmer & surveyor & inspector of nuisances to the local board
Codd William, tin plate worker
Cooling William, farmer
Corney Robert, shoe maker
Creasey James, farmer
Dawson Elizabeth ( Mrs. ), beer retailer
Faulkner Enoch, shoe maker
Garratt William, farmer
Gibson Joseph, coal & coke merchants & at Sleaford
Hudson Joseph, wheelwright
Hudson William, draper & grocer
Hutchinson Smith, grocer & baker
Jackson John, farmer
Joyce Thomas Hubbard, beer retailer
Kelly Catherine ( Miss ), dress maker
Kirton John Thomas, tailor
Lovelee George Gibson, tailor & draper
Moor Holmes, thrashing machine prop
Moore James, farmer
Newton Ann ( Mrs. ), shopkeeper
Parkes William, higgler
Parkinson Wm. collar & harness maker
Pattinson Samuel & William, builders, contractors & brick & tile manufrs
Pattinson Samuel & William, farmers & landowners
Pearson John, jobbing gardener
Peck Thomas, surgeon
Peatman John, grocer & baker
Platt Thomas, flour & coal dealer
Prince Thomas, Black Bull P.H
Reast John Harvey, wheelwright
Rushby Charles, blacksmith
Scott Charles, tailor
Scott George, farmer
Scott William, tailor
Stennett Anthony, brick maker
Stephenson Chas, farmer & landowner
Stowe Richard, farmer
Thorpe Joseph, boot maker.
Thorpe Mary Ann ( Mrs. ), Red Lion P.H
Tomnison Mary ( Mrs. ), dress maker
Waby William, farmer
Wainer Thomas, bricklayer
Wyer Isaac M.R.V.c. Edin. veterinary surgeon