North Shields: History in Old Images

old photo of the Fish Quay at North Shields c1890

Enjoy a glimpse of history through old images of North Shields, Tyne & Wear, England.

North Shields sits on the northern banks of the River Tyne in North East England. Today, it merges into Tynemouth and is well connected to the nearby city of Newcastle upon Tyne. It’s also easy to get across from North Shields to the town of South Shields on the opposite side of the River Tyne, thanks to the Tyne Tunnels. But back in the Victorian age it was a very distinct and individual community.


North Sea Fisheries 1901

The Mitchell and Kenyon collection includes this footage from 1901, of women filleting fish on barrels at the Fish Quay in North Shields. Some of them look very young, but seem excited and amused by the camera.

Then we see the fishermen and other locals listening to directions as they are persuaded to stage a mock battle to make the film more exciting.

North Sea Fisheries, North Shields (1901) – BFI on YouTube


Railway Station

This is an old photo of the railway station at North Shields, taken in 1912.

old photo of the Railway Station at North Shields in 1912
Railway Station North Shields 1912

Princes Theatre 1929

On 7th October 1929, the Princes Theatre was officially opened by Her Worship Mayor of Tynemouth, Dame Maud Burnett, J.P.

The venue on Russell Street had a fully equipped stage and fly tower, organ, and seating for 1,600 people.

During its history it has been damaged during the war, had a long period of closure, and operated as both a cinema for different chains and as a bingo hall.

Opening Of Princes Theatre (1929) – British Pathé on YouTube


Dock Blaze 1935

In 1935 during high winds, a lumber storage yard at the Albert Edward Dock caught fire, bringing out lots of children to watch the huge blaze.

Fire at Albert Edward Dock in North Shields (1935) – British Pathé on YouTube


New Dock 1954

The First Lord of the Admiralty arrived on H.M.S. Inglesham to cut the ribbon and officially open the new Smith Dock in 1954.

First Lord Opens New Smith Dock (1954)- British Pathé on YouTube


The Post Office Directory of Durham and Northumberland

by Kelly and Company

Published in 1879


More about Tyne & Wear

About the author


Popular Categories


Social Media

Follow me on Social Media here: