Glimpse history through old images of Maldon, Essex, England.
Maldon’s Salt Industry 1968
A 1968 information reel showed crystal salt production in a wooden building on the Blackwater Estuary at Maldon, Essex.
It involved an elderly man carefully walking along a narrow ledge, trying not to fall into the deep empty tank below him, so he could start filling it with water.
The pure sea salt was more expensive that commerical rock salt, but there were no chemicals used in its production and it found a market at home and overseas.
The consumer would need to use a salt grinder.
Salty Business (1968) – British Pathé on YouTube
Queen’s Visit 2010
On 28th octiber 2010, Queen Elizabeth II walked down Maldon’s High Street, cheered by large crowds of wellwishers.
We can see Barclays and Iceland in the background.
The Queen visits Maldon, Essex (HD) – British Pathé on YouTube
Extract from: Leigh’s New Pocket Road-book of England and Wales …, by Leigh and Co.
Published in 1840
MALDON ( Essex ) , an ancient and populous town on
the Blackwater , near its entrance into an arm of the sea ,
carries on a considerable import trade in coals , iron , deals ,
and other articles ; and possesses 3 Churches ( All Saints ,
St. Mary , St. Peter ) , a Town – hall , a Grammar – school , and
a Library . Bor . Pop . 3831. 2 Membs .
Extract from: Transactions – Volume 12 – Sanitary Institute
Published in 1892
THE SEWERAGE OF THE TOWN OF
MALDON , ESSEX ,
WITH SOME OBSERVATIONS ON RECENT PRACTICE IN SEWER
BY RICHARD F. GRANTHAM , M.INST.C.E.
Read at a Sessional Meeting , December 9th , 1891 .
MALDON is situated on the River Blackwater about ten miles
from the sea , and contains a population of about 5500 in about
1250 houses .
The river , which is here tidal , flows round the
north and east sides of the town .
The main part of it stands
at a level varying from about 120 to 40 ft . above the sea .
is approached on the north by a steep hill rising at the rate of
about one in eight , while on the south side the land gradually
slopes down to the marshes lower down the river .
and perfectly flat portion within the Municipal Boundary , with
only a few houses on it , extends on the north side of the river .
Hitherto the larger portion of Maldon has drained towards
the south through ditches into a creek , joining the river about
a mile and a quarter below the bridge by which the town is
approached on the north side , the other parts of it draining
direct into the Blackwater at various points higher up .
After the usual preliminaries in preparing plans and obtain
ing the sanction of the Local Government Board , a contract
was entered into in 1889 for the execution of the works , as
designed by the Author’s firm , to sewer only that larger
portion which falls towards the south , the other parts , which
must drain into a low – level sewer , not being taken in hand at
The works of main sewerage , as well as of the house
connections , have been carried out accordingly for the drainage
of about 1000 houses , containing a population of about 4500 .
A general description will suffice for these main works . The
house connections have been carried out strictly in accordance
with the law , as the author understands it , so that a reference
to them may form a basis for comparison with work done in
other places .
The separate system of sewerage was adopted , except as
regards gullies at the backs of the houses , through which a
good deal of rain – water finds its way into the sewers .
The sewage is discharged from storage tanks through a
cast – iron outfall pipe into a creek , passing through saltings , and
joining the main channel of the river about 400 yards outside
the river tidal walls , and about a mile and a quarter below the
The high tides generally cover the saltings , but the
sewage is not discharged into the creek until the tide has
fallen below their level , or about one hour after high water .
It is then discharged until the time of low water at Scales
Point , at the mouth of the river ( about ten miles below the
creek ) , that is between four and five hours from the commence
ment of the discharge , when the penstocks in the tanks are