Glimpse history through old images of Chigwell, Essex, England.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England
Comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate and Market Towns, Parishes, Chapelries, and Townships, and the Islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with Historical and Statistical Descriptions; Illustrated by Maps of the Different Counties and Islands, a Map of England, Showing the Principal Towns, Roads, Railways, Navigable Rivers, and Canals; and a Plan of London and Its Environs, and Embellished with Engravings of the Arms of the Cities, Bishopricks, Universities, Colleges, Corporate Towns, and Boroughs; and of the Seals of the Several Municipal Corporations · Volume 1, by Samuel Lewis
Published in 1831
CHIGWELL , a parish in the hundred of ONGAR ,
county of Essex , 6 miles ( 8. ) from Epping , and 19
( N. E. ) from London , containing 1696 inhabitants .
living is a vicarage , in the archdeaconry of Essex , and
diocese of London , rated in the king’s books at £ 18 ,
and in the patronage of the Prebendary of St. Pan
eras ‘ in the Cathedral Church of St. Paul , London .
church , dedicated to St. Mary , is an ancient structure ,
exhibiting in the south entrance and other parts some
remains of early Norman architecture , with a wooden
belfry and spire ; on the north side of the chancel are
the effigies in brass of Dr. Harsnet , Archbishop of York ,
many years vicar of this parish , and successively Bishop
of Chichester and Norwich , and Archbishop of York , who
was buried here , in 1631 ; on the south side is a monu
ment in alabaster to the memory of Thomas Coleshill ,
Esq . , an officer in the courts of Edward VI . , Queen
Mary , and Queen Elizabeth , inspector of the customs
of the port of London , who died in 1595 ; there are also
several other ancient monuments .
There is a place of
worship for Particular Baptists at Chigwell – Row .
place in ancient records is called Cingwella , supposed to
imply the king’s well , from which its present name is
In the forest adjoining the parish was formerly
a royal mansion , called Potteles , or Langfords , the only
memorial of which is preserved in the name of the site ,
now called King’s Place Farm .
The village consists
principally of one long street on the public road ,
containing many substantial houses : at the distance
of a mile to the south – east of the church is a range of
good houses , called Chigwell – Row , forming one of the
most populous and respectable parts of the parish .
1629 , Archbishop Harsnet , having previously built two
school – houses , and a dwelling – house for a Latin mas
ter , purchased a house for another master , with a
garden for each , and founded two free schools , one for
the Greek and Latin languages , the other for writing
and arithmetic , which he endowed with the impro
priate rectory of Tottington , in Norfolk ; and invested
the advowson of the vicarage of that parish in trus
tees for presentation to such as had been educated in
the grammar school of Chigwell , or , in default of such ,
to natives of this parish : the management of these
schools he vested in governors , consisting of the Vicar
of Chigwell , the Rector of Loughton , and ten of the
most respectable inhabitants of the parish , by whom ,
with preference to such as have been educated in the
school , or natives of the parish , the master is appointed ;
the election must take place within ten days after a
vacancy occurs , otherwise the nomination lapses to the
Bishop of London .
William Penn , founder of the
colony of Pennsylvania , was educated in this school .
A charity school for twelve girls , established in 1700, is supported partly by subscription, and partly by legacies of 100 each , bequeathed by William Scott , Esq . , in 1725 , and Mrs. Barbara Fisher , in 1808.
were endowed by an unknown benefactor for three aged
widows , who receive each an allowance of £ 1 . 5. 8. per
There are several charitable benefactions for
distribution among the poor ; and , in 1357 , Mr. John
Sympson left lands , producing 15 per annum , for keeping in repair the foot – path from Abridge to Woodbridge , which passes through the parish .
At Chigwell Row is a spring , the water of which possesses a cathartic property .