Old Killingworth, North Tyneside

old photos and films with Local History Videos .com

When the site of Killingworth Village was greatly expanded as a Planned Town, or New Town, it was originally called Killingworth Township.

Killingworth Village in 1905 (courtesy of Newcastle Libraries)

One mile south east of the Northumberland border, the town has easy access to the countryside, Newcastle City Centre, and the office and industrial estates of North Tyneside.

Killingworth Railway Station Crossing, about 1900 (courtesy of Newcastle Libraries)

The town’s lake was created in 1964, during the reclamation of the derelict site of Killingworth Colliery. It’s a popular location for fishing, sailing, or just a pleasant walk.

Killingworth Colliery (courtesy of Newcastle Libraries)

Killingworth’s award winning brutal architecture was less well received, and later developments stuck to more traditional styles.

August 1969: Killingworth Trading Estate and Lake (courtesy of Newcastle Libraries)

Unfortunately we couldn’t find any vintage films about Killingworth. However, enjoy listening to the comedy song – ‘Goodbye Killingworth Towers’:

Goodbye Killingworth Towers – The Mitford Family – Topic (YouTube)

You may also like