Bull Ring Shopping Centre (1965)
Patrick Bradley: Published to YouTube on 29 Jul 2017.
The film was made by the in-house film unit for John Laing & Son. T
In addition to their role leading the Bull Ring Centre’s development t,he firm was also involved with the construction of the M1 motorway and Coventry Cathedral.
The film was not aimed at prospective shoppers, but the town planners and government officials whose financial and political backing was essential to the scheme’s acceptance.
Despite the film’s relentless optimism, Birmingham’s first Bull Ring centre dated quickly. By the time it was twenty years old, plans for a redesign were already in circulation.
The centre’s replacement finally opened in 2003.
“This bright and breezy promotional film explores every concrete corner of Birmingham’s original mega-mall, from planning and construction to the site’s official opening, attended by Prince Philip. Shopaholics, nostalgists and fans of Brutalist architecture alike may marvel at the mall’s serene arcades, continental cafes and modern piazzas – a vision of modernity in concrete and piped muzak.”Patrick Bradley on YouTube
When you watch a video on our site, it streams directly from YouTube. That means the person who uploaded the film gets an increase in their YouTube ‘views’ count, in turn making YouTube more likely to promote their footage to other people.
Which video would you like to watch next?
- Page 1 A Drive Around Central Birmingham (1950s)
- Page 2 Birmingham (1959)
- Page 3 Birmingham Memories (1960s)
- Page 4 Trips to Birmingham (1960s)
- Page 5 Sixties Birmingham (1960s)
- Page 6 Birmingham Bullring At Christmas (1963)
- Page 7 Birmingham Town Centre (1964)
- Page 8 Bull Ring Centre Opened (1964)
- Page 9 Birmingham Town Centre (1964)
- Page 10 Bull Ring Shopping Centre (1965)
- Page 11 Old Birmingham Postcards (1960s/1970s)
- Page 12 Birmingham 1970
- Page 13 Remembering Old Kong Bullring Birmingham (1972)
- Page 14 Pubs and Clubs of Birmingham (1970s & 1980s)
- Page 15 Birmingham (1970s/1980s)
- Page 16 Pub and Club Scene in Birmingham (1970s & 1980s)
- Page 17 A Drive Around Central Birmingham Bullring (1981)
- Page 18 Bullring Market, Birmingham (1981)
- Page 19 A Drive Along Birmingham Hagley Road and Broad Street (1981)
- Page 20 Telly Savalas Looks at Birmingham (1981)
- Page 21 Birmingham (1987)