Old Images of Stockport, England

Categorised as Greater Manchester
Old photo postcard of the United Methodist Church Mount Tabor Stockport England

Glimpse history through old images of Stockport, in North West England.

Virgin Mary Miracle 1947

At the 1947 May Sunday evening service in St Mary’s, Heaton Norris, the parish May Queen, seven year old Pauline Byrne, crowned the statue of St Mary the Virgin with a coronet of 22 cream roses.

A second coronet had been placed in the presbytery cellar the same week, ready to be placed on the statue in the second half of May, when the original coronet had faded. But it didn’t. And the two next annual coronets placed on the statue remained intact, even though identical coronets placed at the foot of the statue quickly faded.

In 1950, a different statue was used, and the rose crown behaved as normal, fading within a couple of weeks. The three coronets on the original statue remained intact.

Pilgrims flocked to the church, leaving enough donations to pay off the parish debt and to have the sanctuary decorated with marble.

Father Turner left the parish and the Diocese in 1954, taking the statue and three coronets with him. He went on a lecture tour of America, selling postcards of the statue.

This silent footage, recorded in 1947, includes images of the smoky rooftops across Stockport, as well as interior and exterior shots of St Mary’s.

Virgin Mary Miracle Stockport (1947) – British Pathé on YouTube


Oil Equipment Factory 1949

It’s a shame this newsreel only filmed inside the Stockport factory, so we don’t see the neighbourhood around it. But it’s a good record of the huge factories that local people used to work in.

Factory in Stockport produces oil equipment (1949) – British Pathé on YouTube


Stockport in 1966

A really good narrative accompanies these home movie images recorded back in 1966.

It starts with the General Election held that year, moves on to the streets, houses, power factory, viaduct, canal, Freemans chimney, entire streets about to be demolished, the new 1960s housing estates under construction, town centre shops, the buses at Mersey Square, the Market with prices in old money, and old houses at Heaton Mersey and Mersey Road.

Many of the locations seen here have disappeared over the years, while others have seen significant change.

Stockport in 1966 – Peter Scott on YouTube


Plane Crash 1967

69 holidaymakers returning from a package holiday in Majorca were killed when a Canadair C-4 Argonaut aircraft came down at Stockport, demolishing a garage and some warehouses, and destroying some cars.

Amazingly, it missed the nearby houses, preventing further loss of life. 12 people on board the plane, including the captain, survived.

This newsreel shows the damage caused, and many buildings in the surrounding area.

Plane Crash (1967) – British Pathé on YouTube


Stockport Buses

While these trailers for transport DVDs sold by PMPfilms focus on the buses, they also capture the sights and sounds of Stockport’s streets in past decades. You’ll also see local pedestrians, passing cars, and local businesses.

January 1989

STOCKPORT BUSES JANUARY 1989 – DaveSpencer32 on YouTube

June 1997

STOCKPORT BUSES JUNE 1997 – DaveSpencer32 on YouTube


Historic Book

Extract from “Ancient and Modern · Volume 1” by Henry Heginbotham

Published in 1882

Pages 74

“A young man named Ludlam , called
by the people ” Captain Ludd , ” was the leader . The excitement
quickly extended to the cotton districts , where the object was to
destroy the steam looms . The hand – loom weavers were easily
induced to combine for this purpose , because they believed that
the introduction of the power – loom with its appliances would , to
a great extent , supersede their hand labour .

One result of their
combination in this neighbourhood was , that on the 14th March ,
1812 , large crowds entered Stockport , and , after breaking into the
provision stores and distributing their contents , attacked the
residences of some of the principal inhabitants .

The first windows
they destroyed were those of the house of the late Peter Marsland ,
Esq . , in Ileaton Lane , now the business premises of Messrs .
Clubley and Brown , but then a mansion standing alone in the
midst of a beautiful garden , with its greenhouses and pleasant
walks on the banks of the river Mersey , which flowed along as a
clear and limpid stream .

The rioters then proceeded to Tiviotdale ,
where they attempted to break the windows of Mr. Marsland’s
mill by throwing stones across the river .

After this they passed
along the Underbanks and up the Ilillgate , demolishing the
windows of John Birch , the constable , and attacking the houses
of such as were obnoxious to them .

When they arrived at the
Higher Hillgate , they made a fierce assault upon the factory of
Mr. William Radeliffe ( the inventor of the dressing – machine ) , and
inflicted very serious damage .

The residences and factories of
Messrs . Hindley and Bradshaw , Messrs . Bentley and Co. , and
those in Cooper and Thomas Street , as well as others in the neigh
bourhood shared the same fate .

Having committed these outrages
they went to the Edgeley Mills , belonging to Mr. Goodair . At
that time these works stood in the fields at some distance from
any other building , there being , in fact , but few houses between
them and St. Peter’s Square . The rioters here broke the windows ,
through which a number entered into the mill , cutting out the
warps and destroying the looms .

After this the mob hastened to
Edgeley Cottage , Castle Street , the residence of Mr. Goodair ,
which they foreibly entered , setting fire to the house , and making a bonfire of the furniture in the garden .

The Riot Act was here
read by the Rev. Charles Prescot , the Rector of Stockport , and
the military sent for to support the yeomanry . The Scots Greys came , immediately followed by other Dragoons , and some infantry .


The people still refusing to disperse , the horse soldiers charged
them with drawn swords , whilst the foot used their fixed bayonets .
Many persons were wounded , and a great number taken prisoners .


After a preliminary inquiry before the Magistrates , some of them
were discharged with a caution , whilst the ringleaders were
committed to Chester Castle .

Riots of a similar character took
place in various parts of the county with similar results . The
chief offenders , twenty – eight in number , were tried by a Special
Commission , presided over by Judges Dallas and Burton , which
commenced its sittings on the 25th of May .

The prisoners arrested
at Goodair’s were charged with having with divers others to the
number of some hundreds assembled about the dwelling – house
of John Goodair , of Edgeley , Manufacturer , and wilfully and
feloniously set fire to , and burnt part of the said house .

” At the
close of the Commission , fourteen were condemned to death , only
two of whom were executed , eight were transported for life , and
the remainder imprisoned for various periods .


Among those thus imprisoned was a woman , who , from the
leading part she had taken in the disturbances , had received from
the rioters the sobriquet of ” Mrs. Ludd . ” While detained in the
Stockport lock – up previous to her committal , she so enchanted her
jailer , that after her release from prison he proposed to marry her .
To this she consented , and thus became the mistress of that very
place in which she had been held durance vile . From this
romantic union are descended several persons now occupying
respectable positions in this neighbourhood .”

More about Greater Manchester

Greater Manchester Local History Resources