Old Images of Chislehurst, London

Categorised as Greater London
Camden House Chislehurst 1881
Monograph of Camden House in Chislehurst, from page 75 of "The Iron Roads Dictionary and travellers' route charts of the English and Welsh Railways; ... with ... engravings and ... maps ... Compiled and edited by J. R. S. V", by J. R. Somers Vine, published by Waterlow in 1881, now held in the collections of the British Library. Napolean III, his wife the Empress Eugenie, and son, also Napolean, settled at Camden House as refugees when the Second Empire was overthrown. The ex-Emperor died in 1873, and his only heir died fighting in the Zulu War in 1879. Eugenie left Camden House for good in 1885, splitting her time between a house in Farnborough (now the independent Catholic girls' school Farnborough Hill), and her villa at Cape Martin, located between Menton and Nice.

Glimpse history through old images of Chislehurst, in Greater London.

Chislehurst Caves 1931

Even back in 1931, the 22 miles of caves and tunnels left behind by the mining of flint and lime-burning chalk between the 13th and 19th centuries, were a source of curiosity.

The Lair Of The Cave Folk (1931) – British Pathé on YouTube

You may also like