Sir Walter Blackett was one of the eminent men of Newcastle upon Tyne included in an 1855 Directory of the city and local area.
The information is an extract from History, topography, and directory of Northumberland, comprising a general survey of the county, and a history of the town and county of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, with separate historical, statistical, and descriptive sketches of the boroughs of Gateshead and Berwick-upon-Tweed, and all the towns … wards, and manors. To which is subjoined a list of the seats of the nobility and gentry, which was published by William Whellan & Co. in 1855.
Sir Walter Blackett was born December the 29th, 1708.
On the 13th of October, 1733, he was admitted to the freedom of Newcastle, and was mayor of that town in 1735, 1748, 1756, 1764, and 1771; high-sheriff of Northumberland in 1732, and M.P. for Newcastle in 1734, 1741, 1747, 1754, 1768, and for the seventh time in 1774.
He was a munificent contributor to public works and private charities, and was one of the most earnest supporters of the Newcastle Infirmary at its establishment in 1751, when he subscribed £200 towards its erection, and £50 per annum in support of the institution.
Five years afterwards he made another donation of £1,000.
His works and charities are still the theme of common conversation.
He died in London on the 14th February, 1777, in the 69th year of his age.