Famous for its rugby tradition and as a centre of tinplate production, Llanelli is the largest town in the Welsh county of Carmarthenshire. It’s a lovely place to live thanks to the variety of amenities and facilities while being a stone’s throw from many coastal and rural beauty spots.
Llanelli Through Time
In 1911, participants in the Llanelli riots were bayoneted. In this documentary, journalist, presenter and newsreader Huw Edwards visits his hometown to discover more about this terrible event,
Mike Richards compiled a 24 minute photo montage video showing old black and white photos of the town’s places and people.
Mike Richards compiled a 24 minute long photo montage showing the people and places of Llanelli in the old days. Many different buildings, streets and people appear through a number of decades.
Just under three minutes long, this is another montage from Mike Richards showing old black and white photos of the town.
Rugby Matches In The 1930s
In 1935, the Wales v. France Rugby League match at Llanelly (Llanelli) was captured on film. It’s now part of the British Pathé collection. A very large crowd is watching the game, and some spectators appear in closeups.
This British Pathé film of the Rugby League International match between Wales and England has nice close ups of many spectators.
Tinplate Production In The 1950s
Part of the BFI (British Film Institute) National Archive, this is a 42 minute film showing modernisation at a number of steel and tinplate production centres in Wales. It includes the new cold rolling mill at Trostre Tin Works.
When Duncan Sandys (1908-1987) visited the Trostre Tin Works, this British Pathé captured the event. He was an MP and at the time also Minister of Supply. Captain Leighton Davies, President of the Iron and Steel Institute and Assistant Managing director of the Trostre Works shows him round.
Also appearing is Mrs. Duncan Sandys, who was Miss Diana Churchill before marriage. In 1960 the couple divorced, two years before Duncan Sandys married Claire Schmitt who had divorced Robert Hudson, 2nd Viscount Hudson.
This black and white silent film from British Pathé shows the Trostre Tin Works in operation. Unfortunately the cameraman was more interested in the huge machinery than the people who worked there. As a result, they appear from afar almost to give perspective for the scale of machinery.
In this second British Pathé films of the Trostre Tin Works, we see several shots of the building’s huge exterior. Inside, workers are glimpsed working.
Duke Opens Boys’ Grammar Technical School 1960
In 1960, the Boys’ Grammar Technical School in Stradey, Llanelli, was officially opened by Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. First he arrived by helicopter. Greeted by a small crowd of spectators and officials, the Duke then spoke to school pupils in a number of school locations. Next we see the whole school assembled in a crowded, but ordered, school hall. On the crowded stage, the Duke officially hands the key to the Head. Then Head boy Tudor Lloyd Thomas presenting the Duke with an inkstand and a rugger ball for Prince Charles. Finally, the Duke leaves in the helicopter, cheered by boys and spectators.
Home Videos Of Llanelli 1975 – 2009
This silent colour film, made in 1975, is just over three and a half minutes long. It shows the streets around Capel Bethel, much of which was later demolished. Also, number of people appear, including children.
Streets, spectators and runners are all captured on this home video from 18th April 1982.
In 1993, Murray Street was demolished to make way for the new Asda. In addition to clear footage on this home video, there’s a nice commentary full of detail and explanation.
From 31 January 2009, this is a home video of a drive around town.
Back to Carmarthenshire page
Back to Local History Videos home page