Ceredigion was once a minor kingdom, which became the historic county of Cardiganshire until local government changes in the late 20th century. Today this area of rural and coastal beauty is home to two universities and a resident population who embrace their Welsh roots and language.
Local History On Facebook
The following Facebook pages and groups are a great place to connect with people interested in the history of Ceredigion and its people:
- Cardiganshire Family History Society
- Ceredigion History
- Ceredigion Living History and Re-Enactment Society
- Ceredigion Museum
- Hanes Ceredigion History
- The History of Wales
Local History Resources
Amgueddfa Ceredigion Museum
Borth Station Museum
Cardiganshire Family History Society
Ceredigion Local History Forum
Llywernog mining museum
Towns in Ceredigion
- Cardigan, Ceredigion
- New Quay
Created as a county in 1282, Ceredigion was administered by the Quarter Sessions until 1889, when the recently created Cardiganshire County Council took over. Eighty five years later, the major local government reorganisation of 1974 saw the county council abolished and replaced with the district of Ceredigion in the county of Dyfed.
On 1 April 1996 everything changed again. The new unitary authority was created, with borders closely matching the historic county. For just one day the unitary authority was called Cardiganshire County Council, and since then has operated as Ceredigion County Council.
The town of Cardigan is small, with just over 4,000 residents. But it is a regional administrative centre, and Cardigan Bay is home to the UK’s largest population of bottlenose dolphins.
The area used to be known for its lead, silver and zinc mining, and Cardigan was both a commercial centre and an important harbour.
In the post-industrial age, Ceredigion is popular with older people looking for a peaceful rural life, though Aberystwyth University and the University of Wales Trinity Saint David in Lampeter draw in thousands of students each year.
Back to Local History Videos home page