Old Images of Brentwood, Essex

Categorised as Essex
Old photo postcard of High Street Brentwood Essex

Glimpse history through old images of Brentwood, Essex, England.

closeup of Old photo postcard of High Street Brentwood Essex

Toll House 1925

Brentwood’s circular Old Toll House was located on Brook Street Hill. Toll houses were installed at roads and bridges to collect a toll, or payment, for use of those structures.

The Old Toll House was captured on film in 1925, by which time the small building was unused and boarded up. The passing horse and cart remind us how much has changed in the past century.

Brentwood Toll House (1925) – British Pathé on YouTube


Brentwood Carnival 1962

Brentwood’s High Street offerings in 1962 included the Palace Theatre cinema, banks, and a large Boots store in a traditional shop.

The annual carnival, filmed for a newsreel, was raising money that year for the Radiant Blind Club and the Council of Social Services.

The range of floats reflect an age of very different values, including winning float the Kentucky Minstrels. But there was also a great turnout for the women’s football match.

Brentwood Carnival (1962) – British Pathé on YouTube


Historic Book

Extract from: Leigh’s New pocket road-book of England and Wales … Fifth edition, carefully revised, by Samuel Leigh (Publisher)

Published in 1837

Page 197

BRENTWOOD , Essex , carries on a considerable road
trade , and has a manufactory of silk rugs .

It has a Free school and an ancient chapel ; and in the High Street are
the remains of a Town – hall and Prison . Chapelry .

Pop . 1642.

Inns ; the White Hart , the Crown .


About a mile from Brentwood is Thorndon Hall , the seat
of Lord Petre , a magnificent mansion , with several splen
did apartments , erected under the direction of Payne . In
the right wing is a chapel , adorned with a fine painting of
the Nativity .

Brentwood’s Composer: Arthur Brown

Extract from: Scottish Church Music, Its Composers and Sources, by James Love

Published in 1891

Page 85

Brown , Arthur Henry , born at Brentwood , Essex , July 24 ,
1830 ; organist of the church of St Thomas the Martyr , Brentwood ,
1842 to 1853 ; of the church of St Edward the Confessor , Romford ,
Essex , till 1858 ; and since that time again organist of Brentwood ,
and a professor of music there ; organist also of St Peter’s Church ,
South Weald .


ST ANATOLIUS , No. 294 ( First Tune ) in S.H. , and 304 in F.C.H. , was com
posed for the hymn to which it is set on February 8 , 1862 , and published in
November following along with a few others .


ALLHALLOWS , No. 118 F.C.H. , was composed October 2 , 1862 , and first
published in the ‘ Bristol Tune Book , ‘ 1863 .


S. S. , No. 8 , ” What shall I render ? ” and 27 , ” O death , where is thy
sting ? ” in F.C.H. , were composed for and first published in that collection .

Extract from: Kelly’s Directory of Essex, Hertfordshire and Middlesex

Published in 1890

Page 50-52

BRENTWOOD is a town and parish , pleasantly situated on a
hill , surrounded by picturesque scenery , and on the high road
from London to Chelmsford and Colchester , with a station
on the main line of the Great Eastern railway , 6 miles west
from Billericay , 6 north – east from Romford , 11 south – west
from Chelmsford and 18 from London ; it is the head of a
county court district and petty sessional division , in the
Mid division of the county , civil parish of South Weald ,
Billericay union , rural deanery of Burstable , archdeaconry of
Essex and diocese of St. Albans .

Brentwood , originally Burntwood , is described in Morant’s
History of Essex as being the chief hamlet in the parish of
South Weald ; the word ” wenld ” signifying ” wood . ” The
early history of Brentwood is very obscure , but the first .
trustworthy account of its early history seems to be that
which connects it with Waltham Abbey ; which monastery
being bestowed by Edward the Confessor on Earl Harold ,
that nobleman endowed it with seventeen lordships , one of
which was South Weald and its hamlets : on the death of
Harold , the Conqueror seized the private lands of Harold and
apportioned them among his followers ; by this distribution
Brentwood passed to the line of De – Wochendon , a descendant
whereof , one William De – Wochendon , chamberlain to Henry
II . in the early part of this monarch’s reign , bestowed his
manor of Brentwood on the Abbey of St. Osyth at Chich ,
which had then been founded by Richard de Belmeis , Bishop
of London , some time previous to 1118 , and the endowment
or grant was confirmed by the King . In the year 1221 a
chapel was built at Brentwood at the request of David , abbot
of St. Osyth and with the consent of the Bishop of London ,
Richard Parsons , of Weald and the Abbey and Convent of
Waltham : it was dedicated to St. Thomas the Martyr , in
honour of Thomas – à – Becket : the Convent presented the
chaplain , whose perquisites arose from gifts by travellers on
the road and such as came out of devotion to St. Thomas ,
whence a gate on the highway from Ongar , through which
the devotees passed , was called Pilgrim’s Hatch , and the
locality bears the name this day ; a portion of this chapel
is now standing in the High street , about midway on the
south side : in the time of Stephen the hamlet had grown so
large and important that a grant was made toit of a market
and two fairs , to be holden in July and October : upon the
dissolution of the monastery in 1559 , Henry VIII . granted
the lands to Thomas Lord Cromwell , upon whose attainder
it passed once more into the hands of the King , and was by
him ( in 1549 ) granted to the Lady Anne of Cleves , his
divorced wife : it subsequently passed to Sir Anthony Browne
and became thence an integral part of the manor of South
Weald and so continues . The assizes were holden in Brent
wood until the time of George I. when the more central
position of Chelmsford occasioned their removal to that
town .

The town was re – sewered , with an outfall at Harold Wood
in 1884 , it is lighted with gas from works the property of
the Brentwood Gas Co. and supplied with water from the
South Essex Water Works , at Grays , about 14 miles south ,
with a reservoir at Warley , 4 miles distant .
The church of St. Thomas the Martyr ( situated at a short
distance to the east of the ancient chapel of St. Osyth ) , which
served as the parish church until 1835 , has been entirely
demolished , and the present building , consecrated in April ,
1883 , was erected , at a cost up to that date of over 14,000 ;
it is a structure of flint with stone dressings , in the Early
English style , from designs by Mr. Ernest Lee , architect ,
and consists of chancel , nave , with clerestory , aisles and
a tower on the north side with spire , added in 1886 , at a
cost of over £ 4,000 , and containing a clock with two dials ,
and a peal of 8 bells , given as a memorial to the late
Rev. Charles Almeric Belli M.A. vicar of South Weald 1823
77 : the lower stage of the tower forms a porch ; there are
1,050 sittings . The register for marriages and baptisms
dates from 1695 ; burials , 1741. The living is a vicarage ,

tithe rent – charge £ 100 , net yearly value 280 , including 17
acres of glebe with residence , in the gift of Christopher J.
H. Tower esq . of Weald Hall , and held since 1876 by the Rev.
Charles Grinstead M.A. of St. Catharine’s College , Cam
bridge . A vicarage house , situated in the Ingrave road ,
was erected in the year 1878 .
The Catholic Church , dedicated to the Sacred Heart and
St. Helen , is an edifice in the Gothic style , erected in 1860
and 1861 , at a cost of £ 2.500 , raised by subscription ; it
has a lofty spire and several stained windows . There are
also schools and a convent in connection with this church
and a small orphanage for boys , endowed by Helen Ann ,
Countess Tasker , of Middleton Hall , Shenfield , who died in
1887 .
1,000 .
The Congregational chapel , in New road , was built in 1847
and enlarged and rebenched in 1872 , at a cost of £ 1,000 ;
a fine organ has been since added , at a cost of about 500 ,
and in 1873 a school was built at a cost of over
There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels in Warley road and
King’s road , and a meeting room for The Brethren on Prim
rose hill . The Dissenting Mission Hall , in Back street ,
will hold about 250 persons , and is also used for temperance
meetings .
Gittan’s charity of 1 , left in 1711 , is derived from land
situated at Pilgrim’s Hatch , and supplies 18. each to 20 poor
people yearly . Massa’s charity of 150 , left in 1771 , pro
duces 4 168 , and is for coals . Martin’s charity of 1,000
Consols produces £ 30 yearly , and is for coals or wood . New
man’s charities of 50 , 115 and 121. produce 8 128. 2d .
yearly , which is distributed in various ways to the poor .
Mr. Robert Cross left in 1879 £ 500 , now Lal per Cents .
the interest of which is divided yearly amongst six poor
people ( families or widows ) residing in Brentwood or the
immediate vicinity .
The Town Hall , built in 1864 , is situated in High street ,
and has an illuminated clock : it contains committee rooms
and a large hall , 74 feet long by 37 feet wide , well adapted
for public meetings , lectures , balls and concerts , which will
hold 500 persons .

The F Company of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Essex
Regiment , numbering 97 men , has its head quarters at the
Drill Hall , Ongar road , a commodious and substantial edi
fice of brick , erected in 1886 , at a cost of £ 2,000 .
The County Lunatic Asylum stands on an eminence , about
three – quarters of a mile from the Brentwood station , and is
an Elizabethan building , richly decorated : it was opened in
1853 , and in 1864 three additional blocks of buildings were
erected for 75 more patients and in 1871 another block was
addled for 250 female patients , the whole available now for
about 800 patients ; the wards are spacious and airy , many
commanding an extensive prospect , and the building is
approached from the Warley road by a carriage drive : there
are upwards of 130 acres of land connected with the asylum ,
including the Brentwood Hall estate , purchased in 1873 , part
of which is appropriated as a cemetery and the remainder
used as a farm and kitchen – garden and pleasure grounds ;
the farm and garden being cultivated by the patients under
the superintendence of attendants .
The Young Men’s Christian Association has premises in
the New road .
Brickmaking and brewing are carried on here . Fairs are
held here on October 16th and 17th .
There is a monument at the top of the High street , erected
by public subscription in 1861 to William Hunter , a Pro
testant martyr and a native of Brentwood , who at the early
age of 19 was burned near this spot by order of Bishop
Bonner , in the reign of Queen Mary , March 26th , 1555
The area is 459 acres ; rateable value ,
population in 1881 was 4,653 , including 716 in the Hackney
Union Training School and 110 in the London School Board
Industrial School .
19,174 ; the
Verger and Sexton , Henry Thompson , Alfred road .

Official Establishments, Local Institutions &c.

POST & M. O. O. , S. B. , Telegraph , Parcel Post & Annuity &
Insurance Office , High street . – Ellis Robert Symonds ,
postmaster
Dispatches for London & all parts at 9.10 , 10 & 10.45 a.m.
3 , 8.30 & 10 p.m .: for Chelmsford , Ingatestone , Witham ,
Braintree , Maldon & Ipswich , at 1.35 p.m .; for Bishops

Stortford , Cambridge , Peterboro ‘ , throughout Lincoln
East Riding of York , 7.45 p.m .; for Ingatestone , Chelins
ford , Colchester , Maldon , Ipswich & Norwich , 8.30 p.m.
& for Romford , at rop.m. Sundays for London at 8.30 &
10 p.m .; Romford , to p.m .; Ingatestone , Chelmsford ,
Colchester , Ipswich & Norwich at 8.30 p.m

DELIVERIES – From London & all parts , 7 & 11 a.m. & 3.10
& 30 p.m .: from Ingatestone , Chelmsford , Colchester ,
Maldon , Ipswich , Romford & Norwich , 7 a.m. & 5.30 p.m
Money Order & Savings Bank business ( including annuity
& insurance ) , from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m .; sat , till 8 p.m
Receiving Office , Warley road , Charles Frederick Lloyd ,
receiver ; post & money order office , savings bank &
annuity business , 9 a.m. till 6 p.m ; sat . till 8 p.m.
Box cleared for dispatch at 8.45 . 9.30 & 10.20 a.m. & 2.40 ,
4.20 ( cal letters only ) , 7.20 & 9.20 p.m .; sun . 12.20 p.m
County Magistrates for the Brentwood Petty
Sessional Division .
For Billericay Sub – Division , se BILLERICAY .
Petre Hon . Frederick Charles Edmund , Bay cottage , Brent
wood , chairman
Headel William Jas , esq . M.P. , D.L. Hutton Hall , Brentwood
Horton John Hy , esq . D.L. Mascalls , South Weald , Brentwood
Ind Edward esq . D.L. Coombe lodge , Warley , Brentwood
Lescher Joseph Francis esq . D.L. Boyles court , South Weald ,
Brentwood
Lesener Edmund Charles esq . Boyles court , South Weald ,
Brentwood
Morgan David John esq . Cecil honse , Bentley , Brentwood
Spering Henry R. esq . Weald Side bonse . Brentwood
Tower Christopher John Hume esq . D.L. Weald hall , South
Weald , Brentwood
Tornbull William Abbott esq . Great Warley , Brentwood
Clerk to the Magistrates , Charles Carne Lewis , New road
Petty Sessions every thursday at the Court House at 10 a.m.
under the Summary Jurisdiction Act if necessary , & of
which notice will be given by the clerk , & every alternate
thursday for general business through the year
The following places are included in the division – Bassil
don , Benfleet ( North ) , Bowers Gifford , Brentwood , Bur
stead ( Great ) , Burstead ( Little ) , Childerditch , Dodding
hurst , Downham , Dunton , Cranham , Horndon ( East ) ,
Horndon ( West ) , Hutton , Ingrave , Laindon , Lee Chapel ,
Mountnessing . Nevendon , Pitsea , Ramsden Bellhouse ,
Ramsden Crays , Shenfield . Upminster , Vange , Warley
( Great ) , Warley ( Little ) , Weald ( South ) , Wickford

Public Establishments .
County Court , Court house , New road , His Honor John Thos .
Abdy LL.D .: Charles Carne Lewis , registrar ; C. Godfrey ,
Romford , high bailiff . The parishes comprising the dis
trict are the following : -Bassildon , Billericay , Blackmore ,
Bebbingworth , Brentwood , Bulpham , Burstead ( Great ) ,
Barstead ( Little ) , Childerditch , Corringham , Dodding
hurst , Downham , Dunton , Fobbing , Fyfield , Greenstead ,
Horndon ( East ) , Horndon ( West ) , Horndon – on – the – Hill ,
Hutton , Ingrave , Kelvedon Hatch , Laindon , Langdon
Hi , Laver High , Moreton , Mountnessing , Navestock ,
Nevendon , Norton Mandeville , Onzar ( Chipping ) , Ongar
( High ) , Orsett , Ramsden Crays , Ramsden Bellhouse ,
belley , Shentield , South Weald , Stanford – le – Hope , Stan
fond Rivers , Stondon – Massey , Theydon – Mount , Vange ,
Warley ( tirent ) , Warley ( Little )
Certified Hatliffs appointed under the Law of Distress
Amen – iment Act : -Abraham John Thorne , High street ;
Charles Burley , High street ; Jn . Halbridge , Railway brdg
County Lanatic Asylum , Warley road , George Amsden M.B. ,
c.x. medical superintendent ; Frank Hodson Bromhead
BA , X.R. John Turner M.B. , C.M. & William Johnson
Smyth M.B. , C.M. assistant medical officers ; Walter Payne .
Gep , Chelmsford , clerk to the visitors ; William Michael
Tufnell , Chelmsford , treasurer , & treasurer of benevolent
fund ; Wm . Herbert Roscoe , clerk to the asylum ; Rev.
Henry Stephens M.A. chaplain ; Miss Elizabeth Hillier ,
matron ; Miss Martha Langley , assistant matron . Visit
ing days to patients , 1st & 3rd thursdays in the month
Esses Regiment , 1st Volunteer Battalion ( F Company ) , bead
quarters , Drill hall , Ongar road ; Capt . E. Neville Cubitt
commanding : Albert William Wallis , acting surgeon ;
Sergeant J. McManus , drill instructor
Fire Brigade , Engine house , Back street , E. Andrews , cap
tain & 8 men , a manuals
Inland Revenue Office , John H. Butler , a Westbury rd.offier
Mark Master Masons , Brentwood lodge , White Hart hotel ,
second thursday in May & July . 4 p.m
Masonie Lodge ( 214 Hope & Unity ) , White Hart botel , 4th
thurs . Jan. April , July , Oct. 4 p.m .; W. W. Brown , see
Pojice Station , Queen’s road , John Dobson , superintendent ,
a sergeants & 6 constables
Stamp Office , Ellis Robert Symonds , High street
Town Hall , High street , Richard Earthy , sec
Public Officers .
Assistant Overseer & Rate Collector , Joseph Wm . Armour ,
Ingrave road

Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes for the Hundreds of
Barstable & Chafford , clerk to Brentwood School & Charity
& clerk to Brentwood Burial Board & Christ Church War
ley Burial Board , Frank Landon , High street
Coroner for the Southern Division of Essex & Superinten
dent Registrar & Vaccination Officer for Billericay Dis
trict , Charles Carne Lewis , New road
Collector of Poor Rates , Joseph Win . Armour , Ingrave road
Deputy Coroner for the Southern Division of Essex , W. B.
Blood , Witham
Inspector of Weights & Measures & under Sale of Food &
Drugs Act , John Dobson , Queen’s road
Medical Officer of Health , Ongar Rural District , John
Cooper Quennell , Mansion house , High street
Medical Officer , Brentwood district , Billericay Union , Albert
William Wallis , High street
Relieving Officer for the Western District of the Billericay
Union , Edward William Cottee , Rose valley
Sanitary Inspector for the Billericay Rural Authority &
School Attendance Officer to Billericay Rural Attendance
Committee , Samuel Shelley , Junction road
Steward of the Manors of Ramsden , Barringtons & Tremnalls ,
Frank Landon
Steward of the Manors of Costead , Calcott & South Weald ,
Edward Palmer Landon
Town Crier , James Carswell , Shenfield common
Places of Worship , with time of services .
St. Thomas the Martyr Church , Rev. Chas . Grinsteal M.A.
vicar : Rev. Horace Bernard Woolley M.A. curate ; 8 a.m.
( holy communion ) , 11 a.m. 3.30 & 6.30 p.m .: daily , 9-45
a.m. & 5 p.m .; wed . & fri . 7.30 p.m .; thurs . Holy Com
munion , 7.30 a.m
Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart & St. Helen , Rev.
Thomas Francis Norris , M. R. priest ; hours of service ,
mass 8 & 11 a.m.3 p.m .; devotions , sermon & benediction ,
6.30 p.m .; thurs , benediction 3.30 p.m .; wed . & fri . in
Lent & Advent 7.30 p.m .; daily , ass 8 a.m .; holidays of
obligation , mass 8 & 10 a.m. & 7 p.m
Baptist , Queen’s road , Rev. William Walker ; 11 a.m. &
6.30p.m .; wed . 6.30 p.m
Congregational , Rev. Walter Legerton , minister ; 10.30
a.m. & 6.30 p.m .; wed . 7 p.m
Plymouth Brethren , 6.30 p.m
Wesleyan , ininisters various ; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m .;
wed . 6.30 p.m
Tenperance Mission Hall , 6.30 pm

Schools .
The Endowed Free Grammar School was founded & endowed
by Sir Anthony Browne kt . & Dame Joan his wife , in the
reigns of King Philip & Queen Mary & of Queen Elizabeth ;
this Sir Anthony Browne , serjeant – at – law at the time of
the foundation , July 5. 1557 , became afterwards , in 1558 .
Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas ; on the death
of Queen Mary he was removed , but Queen Elizabeth is
said to have entertained so high an opinion of his talents
that she permitted him to retain the office of judge
so long as he lived ; he died May 6 , 1567 & was buried at
South Weald church . A year subsequent to the founda
tion of the school , Sir Anthony & his wife built & endowed
almshouses for five poor persons of the parish of South
Weald & the hamlets of Brentwood & Brook Street ,
charging certain estates in Dagenham & elsewhere with
their support & in part with the support of the school :
the revenue arising from these estates in time amounted
to nearly 1,500 a year , & a re – adjustment of the scheme
on the termination of a Chancery suit in 1851 became
necessary . The school is conducted under a scheme from
the endowed school commissioners , & is controlled by a
body of governors , of whom some act ex – officio , others
being representative & the remainder co – optative . The
parishes comprised within the limits prescribed by the
founders are : -South Weald , Great & Little Warley ,
Cranham , Childerditch , Doddinghurst , East & West Horn
don , Ingrave , Hutton , Mountnessing , Shenfield , Kelvedon
Hatch , Romford , Brentwood , Navestock & Upminster .
The scholars number about 100 on the average . The
Rev. John Henry Newnum M.A. of Pembroke College ,
Cambridge , head master ; assistant masters , A. O. V.
Penny M.A. C. M. Gibbons B.A. J. A. Smith , Ferdinand
Isler & Henry Hutton.


Hackney Union Training Schools for 600 children ; these
schools are situated between Brentwood & Brook Street &
belong to the guardians of Hackney union ; the boys are
trained to industrial pursuits & are also taught instru
mental music with a view to their joining regimental
bands ; J. Epton Hadwick , supt .; Mrs. J. E. Hadwick ,
matron ; Rev. J. Donaldson , chaplain ; Albert William
Wallis , medical officer

London Industrial School , Prospect house , for boys only ,
situated in Kose valley , near the railway station & opened
in 1874 , in which year it was certified ; there are 100
boys , who are also taught regimental band music : Henry
Hartland , governor : Mrs. Hartland , matron : Thomas
Humphries , schoolmaster
St. Charles Diocesan Schools ( Catholie ) , for the reception of
children from the workhouses , are pleasantly & healthily
situated near the town , and are under the direction of the
Religious Order of the Brothers of Mercy ; the cost of the
erection when complete is estimated at £ 36,000 ; the
schools are partly supported by the Guardians of the Poor :
His Eminence Cardinal Manning is head manager : Rev.
Cornelius Ryan , chaplain ; Brother Arthur Doyle , director
of the school
National , Queen’s road , built in 1869 & enlarged in 1877 , for
620 children ; average attendance , 190 boys , 160 girls &

200 infants : Frederick Bittles , master ; Miss Mary Jarvis ,
girls ‘ mistress ; Miss Louisa Joliffe , infants ‘ mistress
Catholic ( mixed ) , for 150 children ; average attendance ,
135 : the Sisters of Mercy , teachers
Newspaper .
Essex Times , Wilson & Whitworth , High st . publishers ; fri
Conveyance .
Railway Station , Edward King , station master
Mail cart & carrier , George Bull , from Billericay at 8.30 ,
arrives at 9.30 a.m. to meet the trains , daily & returns at
11.5 a.m. & 5 p.m
Carriers .
To LONDON & CHELMSFORD – Jn . Emery , from High street ,
mon . wed . & fri

PRIVATE RESIDENTS .
Amsden George M.B. , C .. Asylum ,
Warley road
Ashbee W. Neville , 17 Westbury road
Bailey Thomas Joseph , 16 Westbury rd
Baker Benjamin , High street
Baker George , 21 Westbury road
Baker George Thomas , Bank ho , High st
Baker Mrs. Upper Queen’s road
Barclay Maj – tien . Fredk . C. D’Epinay ,
13 Westbury road
Barker William F. Crescent road
Barrett John , Granville ho . Crescent rd
Barrett William , Rose valley
Barrow Miss , Queen’s road
Bell Major James , Rose valley
Beveridge James , Rose cot . Junction rd
Biggs James , Westbury lodge
Binder John James , Ongar road
Bittles Frederick William , Rose valley
Boreham Mrs. New road
Bowen Henry Storer , Victoria grove
Brice Thomas , Herne villa
Britten David , Avenue road
Bromhead Frank Hodson B.A. , M.B.
( assist.med.offi . ) , Asylum , Warley rd
Brown Arthur Edward , Thought cot
tage , Queen’s road
Brown Arthur Henry , Crown street
Brown Charles J. 14 Westbury road
Brown George , Primrose hl.Queen’s rd
Brown Leonard Albun George , St.
Thomas ‘ hill , Queen’s road
Brown Walter William , 4 Westbury ter
Browne Tom , to Westbury rond
Butler John Harman , 2 Westbury road
Byford Alfred Thomas , The Limes ,
Crescent road
Church Thomas James , Queen’s road
Cole Captain Martin George B. Belle
vue , Queen’s road
Cole Horace William , High street
Colson Miss , a Crown villas , Queen’s rd
Cook Edmund Miall , Methlick villa ,
Warley road

Cooper George , The Cedars , Queen’s rd
Copeland Mrs. Junction road
Cox Mrs. The Ferns , Westbury road
Croisdale Captain Richard , Vale villa ,
Rose valley
Crowe Joseph John , Gweedore , Crown st
Cubitt Edward Neville , Victoria grove
Cuthbert Miss , The Mount , Queen’s rd
Cutts Henry Whitmore , The Cottage ,
Shenfield common
Dalton Mrs. Melville lodge
Davey George , Elm cottage
Davies The Misses , Warescot house ,
Warley road
Dawson Mrs. Camden lodge , Warley rd
Daynes William Dean , Terrace villa
Deverill Mrs. Victoria grove
Done John , 1 Junction road
Dowson Joseph , 20 Westbury road
Duchesne Robert , 6 Westbury road
Earle Mrs. The Priory , High street
Earthy Richard , Pleasant ho . King’s rd
Edmonds William M. Valley ho . Weald la
Elkington Mrs. Verandah cot . Crown st
Escott Mrs. Rose valley
Evans Henry B. Avenue road
Faning Mrs. 2 Westbury terrace
Fielder Charles Alfred , Queen’s road
Firman Miss , Upper Queen’s road

Fonceca Richard John Taylor , Fir villa ,
Warley road
Forde Lieut . George ( Army Service
Corps ) , a Fir villas , Crescent road
Foyster George , 3 Westbury road
French Edward , Queen’s road
Frazer Samuel , Queen’s road
Fry Mrs. 18 Westbury road
Gambier James , Queen’s road
Garden Misses , Manor house , High st
Gardiner Arthur Stephen , Fern villa ,
Crescent road
Garrood Arthur W. High street
Gibbons C. M. B.A. ( assistant master ) ,
Grammar school
Goode Jn . Chas . The Grange , Queen’s rd
Gowar William Henry A. Crescent road
Graham N. C. Rose mount , Queen’s rd .
Grinstead Rev. Charles M.A. The Vicar
age , Ingrave road
Hadwick J. Epton
Haltridge John , Abbey lodge , High st
Hartland Henry , Prospect ho . Rose valley
Havers Stanislaus Joseph , Queen’s road .
Herbert Chas . Tiverton lodge , Rose valley
Higgs Henry , High street
Hill Jeremiah , Fernleigh , Warley road
Hill Thomas , Oakfield lodge , Warley rd
Hogan William , Victoria grove
Holland Harry , West cot . Westbury rd
Hook Wm . Thos . Yew villa , Warley rd
Howard Henry , Western villas
Hughes Charles Alfred , Queen’s road
HuttonHy . ( asst.master ) , Grammar schl
Isaac Arthur Stanley , Crown street
Isler Ferdinand
Grammar school
( assistant master ) ,
Jackson Isaac , Oak villa , Warley road
Jackson Miss , Rose bank
Jackson Robert , Rose bank
Jackson William Minchin , Albany villas ,
Warley mount
Joliffe Miss , St. Thomas ‘ road
Jones Henry , Crown street
Keith William , The Cornwalls , High st
Kennedy Miss , Oak villa , Warley road
King Fredk . Rt . Haleyon ho . Warley mnt
Kirby Harry W.St. Thomas ‘ hl.Queen’s rd
Kirby Thomas Dipton , Fairlawn
Kohl Mrs. Box villa , Warley road
Landon Frank , Red house
Larkin George Thomas , St. Thomas ‘
hill , Queen’s road

Larkin John William , Queen’s road
Legerton Rev. Walter [ Congregational ] ,
Hellevue house , Primrose hill
Legerton Mrs. Queen’s road
Lewis Charles Carne , Shenfield villa
Lloyd Charles Fre lerick . Avenue road
Marlton Lawrence John , Queen’s road
Mee Misses , Grove villas , Crown street .
Meggy Robt . S. Hillside ho . Westbury rd .
Melhado Gordon Cowan , 12Westbury rd
Micklefield Wm . F.Oak vils . Crescent rd
Miller Dugald Stewart , Victoria grove
Morant George Christopher , The Wis
terias , High street
MorantGeo , McKay , Grove villa , Crown st
Morgan Wm . H. 1 Grape vils , Warley rd
Morris Henry , Junction road
Moss Frederic , Queen’s road
Mott George , Warley road
Moull Mrs. Valentine villa , Warley road
Moull William , Western villa

Newnum Rev. John Henry M.A. ( head
master of the Grammar School ) ,
The School house
Norris Rev. Thomas Francis [ Catholic ] ,
The Presbytery , Ingrave road
Owles Harry George , 8 Westbury road
Payne William , 4 Westbury road
Peacock Edward Beek , 11 Westbury rd
Pearce William , Brent house , Ingrave rd
Penny A. O. V. M.A. ( assistant master ) .
Grammar school
Perry Miss , 2 Westbury villas
PetreHon . Fdk.Chas . Edmnd.a.r.Bay cot
Pettitt Miss , 1 Bay villas , Warley road
Powell Mrs. St. Thomas ‘ hl . Queen’s rd
Proud Richard , Queen’s road
Quennell John Cooper , High street
Quenneil Robt . Wm . TheCottage , High st
Kayner Charles , 1 Westbury terrace
Raynor Rev. Gilbert Hy . M.A. Ongar rd
Read John Jervis , High ho . Rose valley
Reeve Miss , Queen’s road
Richardson Edward , 19 Westbury road
Rist Robert G. The Laurels , High street
Robinson Anthony Geo . Shenfield lodge
Rolfe White Rt . Crescent vil . Crescent rd
Roscoe William Herbert , Warley road
Ryan Rev. Cornelius [ Catholic ) , King’s rd
Salt Miss , Crown street
Savill John Thos , Craven villa , High st
Savill Mrs. Shenfield house
Sawer William , Oak bank , Ongar road
Scott Edgar Webster , 9 Westbury road
Simonds Mrs , Northiam vil . Crescent rd
Slaughter Peter [ Wesleyan missionary ] ,
Junction road

Smales Miss Katharine , St. Swithuns ,
Ongar road .
Smith Charles , Queen’s road
SmithJ . A. ( asst , master ) , Grammar schl
Smyth Wm . Johnson M.B. , C.M. ( assist .
medical officer ) , Asylum , Warley rd
Stephens Rev. Henry M.A. [ chaplain ) ,
Asylum , Warley road
Taverner Mrs. Queen’s road
Taylor Charles Richard M.A. , LL.D. 15
Westbury road
Taylor Mrs. Eversley , Rose valley
Taylor Mrs. James , Rose Valley house
Townend Fk . Bedborough , 7Westbury rd
Thornton Miss , Prospect vil . Warley rd
Turner John M.B. , C.M . ( sen . assist , med .
officer ) , Asylum , Warley road
Turner Mrs. High street
Walker Rev. Win . [ Baptist ] , Warley rd
Wallis Albert William , High street
Wallis Miss , High street
Ward Mrs. Colonel , Queen’s road
Warner Alfred , 1 Firs vils . Crescent rd
Warner John , 2 Victoria road
Wheeler Mrs. Shenfield common
White James , High street
White Robert , Warley road
Wiffen Mrs. Queen’s road
Windsor Arthur H. Bristol vil . Avenue rd
Woodham Lient . William Burnett , Ash
villa , Warley road
Womersley Dale . The Hollies
Winter Joseph , Truro house , High st
Winter Mrs. New road
Woods Arthur Thomas Gunnell , Rich
mond villa , Crown street
Young John , Guilford lodge , Queen’s rd
Young William Simpson , Rose valley

More about Essex