The sheltered working harbour of Stonehaven in northeast Scotland is home to a small community.
But Stonehaven has a famous tradition for Hogmanay Fireballs, a parade where balls of flame are twirled around the streets before being thrown into the sea. It’s also the annual venue for a highly regarded folk festival.
Stonehaven’s railway station survived the Jeremy Beecham cuts of the 1960s and is still operating today. The Caledonian sleeper service London to Scotland stops here.
Old Photos And History Of Stonehaven
Old Photographs Of Stonehaven
Tourscotland: Published on 2 Dec 2016. Video of photographs of Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
“Stonehaven had grown around an Iron Age fishing village, now the Auld Toon, and expanded inland from the seaside. Stonehaven was a Jacobite town in 1715 and it was a safe base for the retreating Jacobite army to stay overnight on the night in February 1716. In 1745 Stonehaven, part of the Episcopalian north east, was again reliably Jacobite and it was one of the north eastern ports where reinforcements, plus money and equipment were periodically landed from France.“
Tourscotland on Youtube
Which Page Would You Like To See Next?
- Page 1 Old Photographs Of Stonehaven
- Page 2 History Scotland Podcast: Stonehaven
- Page 3 Trains between Stonehaven & Dundee (1990)
- Page 4 Stonehaven Fireballs (1999)
- Page 5 Stonehaven Fireballs (2007)
- Page 6 Stonehaven Music Fest (2007)
- Page 7 Stonehaven Music Fest (2007)
- Page 8 Stonehaven Folk Festival (2007)
- Page 9 Stonehaven Fireballs (2008)
- Page 10 Highland Jig at Stonehaven Ceilidh Folk Festival (2008)
- Page 11 World Paper and Comb Championships (2009)
- Page 12 Flooding in Stonehaven (2009)
- Page 13 Flooding in Stonehaven (2009)
- Page 14 After the flood in Stonehaven (2009)
- Page 15 Stonehaven Fireballs Hogmanay (2009 – 2010)
- Page 16 BBC Coast: Hogmanay Fireballs at Stonehaven (2010)
- Page 17 Roads closed in Stonehaven (2010)
- Page 18 Aqua Ceilidh, Stonehaven Folk Festival (2010)
- Page 19 Splashing out at Stonehaven’s Harbour Hi-Jinks (2010)
- Page 20 Stonehaven Harbour Festival (2010)
- Page 21 Stonehaven Fire Brigade Rescue A Bear (2010)
- Page 22 Stonehaven Seafront Flooded (2010)
- Page 23 Stonehaven Lorry Crash (2010)
- Page 24 Stonehaven Hit By Storm Damage (2012)
- Page 25 Fish and Chip Shop Fire (2013)
- Page 26 Stonehaven Lifeboat’s Future Under Threat (2013)
- Page 27 Stonehaven Flooding (2014)
- Page 28 Stonehaven Storm (2014)
- Page 29 Storm Waves Hit Stonehaven (2014)
- Page 30 Stonehaven Folk Fest (2015)
- Page 31 Feein’ Market (2018)
Find more locations with our Sitemap for Scotland