Covering just 60% of the historic county of Monmouthshire, this area of South East Wales is home to many castles and museums, with towns and villages within easy access to stunning rural landscapes.
Monmouthshire Facebook Pages And Groups
Facebook can be a valuable resource for local history and family history enthusiasts. Information, old photos and memories are easy to share in local groups and draw a wide range of contributors wanting to help or comment.
- Gwent Archives
- Monmouthshire Antiquarian Association
- Monmouthshire Family History by Tr4ce
- Monmouthshire Family Tree Group
- Monmouthshire & Glamorgan DNA Gedmatch Project
- Monmouthshire Memories
Monmouthshire Archives: Gwent Archives
Since 1938 the records and archives for the area have been held first by the Monmouthshire Record Office, then Gwent County Record Office, and latterly by Gwent Archives.
Gwent Archives serves the five unitary authorities created in the local government changes of 1996, namely:
- Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
- Caerphilly County Borough Council
- Monmouthshire County Council
- Newport City Council
- Torfaen County Borough Council.
In the late 1950s, a concern for the preservation of local finds led to the establishment of the Abergavenny Museum. Housed in the 19th century hunting lodge in the grounds of Abergavenny Castle, the museum collection displays locally discovered artefacts used from the Mesolithic age onwards.
Originally built around 1100, Caldicot Castle had its present day stone keep and curtain walls added in 1170. The property of aristocrats and royalty until the sixteen century, the castle at one point belonged to the Duchy of Lancaster. By the Victorian age the estate was a private home, and at the end of World War II the castle towers provided a number of furnished apartments to rent.
Since the 1960s the castle opened as a visitor attraction, complete with museum.
In 1796, wealthy apothecary and merchant Warren Jane built Gwy House as an attractive town house. Since then it has served as a school, hospital, and latterly a museum.
The museum collection focuses on the historic trading and artistic history of Chepstow and the Wye Valley.
Great Castle House
In 1673, Henry Somerset, the 3rd Marquis of Worcester and Lord President of the Council of Wales and the Marches, had Great Castle House built on the site of part of Monmouth Castle.
It later became an Assize Court, until 1853 when the Militia Regiment made their headquarters there.
Whilst the Militia Regiment has long been the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers, the headquarters remain in the property today.
In 1989, the Monmouth Regimental Museum opened in a part of the building.
Also known as the Nelson Museum and Local History Centre, the Monmouth Museum was set up in 1924 to house the Nelson collection of the recently deceased Lady Georgiana Llangattock.
Back to Local History Videos home page